[LMB] OT: Anne with an "E"

Margaret Dean margdean56 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 27 17:35:36 BST 2020

On Mon, Apr 27, 2020 at 4:47 AM Pat Mathews <mathews55 at msn.com> wrote:

> Yes. Linguistics professor Suzette Haden Elgin, of long-past memory,
> suggested that instead of schoolteachers stuffing "The way you speak of
> wrong, Wrong, WRONG!" down the throats of her Ozark-born students, they
> teach "Standard English as a second language" and explain why it's good to
> know both dialects.

And of course early childhood is the best time to teach children second /
multiple languages, while they're still "wired" for language acquisition
and can pick them up easily.

> Which New Mexico does for Spanish-speakers from the back hills of New
> Mexico, whose ancestors have lived there for 400 years. "Spanish for
> heritage speakers." I haven't heard of anybody in that state complaining
> about it.

Yes, living in New Mexico I'm definitely aware that we Anglos are the
latecomers. The various Puebloan peoples were here first, the Navajo and
their Athabaskan-language-speaking kin arrived next, then the Spanish (and
the Old Spanish Families are a recognized social/cultural group here), and
finally the English-speakers.

--Margaret Dean
  <margdean56 at gmail.com>