[LMB] OT: COVID-19 distribution

WILLIAM A WENRICH wawenri at msn.com
Wed Apr 29 14:28:44 BST 2020

NYC has more than half of the COVID-19 cases in the USA. Even so, the hospitals have not been overwhelmed as they were in Italy and Spain. They always were able to keep up with the number of ventilators needed. (Ventilators are not a cure. A high percentage of people who need ventilators just take longer to die. They are working on new treatments.)
Why was NYC hit so hard? I think it may be:

A. High population density
B. Public transportation, in NYC that means subways
C. COVID-19 has a long period when it is contagious before symptoms are evident, if they ever appear
D. Lack of knowledge on COVID-19 lead to recommendations that made the situation worse. I’m thinking about the orders that, “If you aren’t sick, don’t wear a mask.”

I don’t know about conditions in other countries. Londoners use the underground a lot so I would expect a spike but I haven’t heard of one.
I still can’t get a handle on why it hasn’t been worse in the homeless encampments. They certainly didn’t give everyone masks and have them shelter in place.
In Australia are people crowded into public transportation?

I’m doing my best to keep all politics out of this.

William A Wenrich