[LMB] LIST BIZ: Phishing

Zan Lynx zlynx at acm.org
Wed Apr 29 16:34:54 BST 2020

On 4/29/20 9:03 AM, WILLIAM A WENRICH wrote:
> Is anyone else experiencing a big increase in phishing attacks? I’ve
> been getting several a day. I never click on a link and always report
> them. I have never heard of anyone being punished for phishing. I
> could think of some appropriate punishments. Fines of a dollar and
> jail time for every call or email come to mind. I’m not sure about
> lashes.

My spam filter kills a bunch every day. I do get a few every week, but
it doesn't seem to be more than usual.

Weirdly enough, many of the ones that get through to me come via
open-source mailing lists, like for the GCC compiler. Those are so
obviously phishing that I don't understand how the phisher expects to
succeed. But then, it's probably all automated on their end.

It is far too difficult to track down and punish the phishers. I suppose
it might happen once in a while. But most of those emails are sent from
compromised machines which are only used for a short period of time. It
is nearly impossible to track back from there to the actual phisher.
Also, the group that cracked the machines is often just selling access
to their machine collection to the phishers. That adds yet another layer
between the email you reported and the actual sender.

--
                 Knowledge is Power -- Power Corrupts
                         Study Hard -- Be Evil