[LMB] LIST BIZ: Phishing

alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca
Thu Apr 30 00:23:57 BST 2020

On Wed, 29 Apr 2020, Fred Smith wrote:
> Since I run my own mail server (for fcshome.stoneham.ma.us) I have some degree of control
> over what mails it passes thru, and what sites can send email to mine.
>
> But of all the mitigations I've ever done (including SpamBayes which does a great job
> of catching spam) the best was adding milter-greylist. when I used to get 15-30 spams every day
> (sometimes more) I now actually get 3 or 4, often 1 or 2.

We run our own home mail server, too, and take much the same approach:
spamassassin (primarily using RBLs) + greylisting.

We've found that we can run greylisting for a while, then stop for a
while, and only put it back on months later if the spam levels increase --
because running greylisting consistently for a few months causes you to be
removed from many spam lists.

Alayne

--
Alayne McGregor
alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca

If there is a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, you must be the one to write it.
-- Toni Morrison