[LMB] OT: Fighting Words

Beatrice Otter beatrice_otter at zoho.com
Fri Nov 27 00:46:11 GMT 2020

On Thu, Nov 26, 2020 at 03:36:48PM -0500, Greg Hennessy wrote:
> This is not a statistic, it is at best an anecdote. And the plural of
> anecdote is not data.

--- On Thu, 26 Nov 2020 13:25:12 -0800 Damien Sullivan <mailto:phoenix at mindstalk.net> wrote ----
Actually it's one unsourced statistic. There's nothing anecdotal about
that.

And I think I have heard that women initiate domestic violence about as
much as men, by some measure.  OTOH the degree of and deadliness of that
violence may not be so symmetrical.

I'm moderately sure that being involved with a man is the second most
dangerous thing an ordinary American woman chooses to do, after getting
into or biking around cars.  Dating women is not notably dangerous for men.

Beatrice Otter:

The statistics I have seen differentiate between physical and mental abuse, and between heterosexual and homosexual relationships. In all cases, men and women are equally likely to be *verbally* abusive and/or manipulative, but men are far more likely to initiate physical violence. How often women are willing to initiate physical violence changes depending on whether they are in a same-sex relationship or not. I.e. women are more willing to raise fists against another woman than they are against a man. However, the percentage of women who initiate violence against an intimate partner is still much lower than the number of men who do so.

When you divide up statistics of what kills people by gender, and you eliminate natural causes (age and health stuff), the single most common cause of death for women in the US is murder, most often by a male family member, romantic partner, former romantic partner, or someone who wanted to be a romantic partner. The most common cause of death for men (once natural causes are removed) is accident.

Beatrice Otter