[LMB] Vaccines and immunity

Tony Zbaraschuk tonyz at eskimo.com
Mon Nov 30 14:40:30 GMT 2020

On Sun, November 29, 2020 10:35 pm, Doug Weinfield wrote:
> If immunity for everyone who was infected lasted only two months, I’d
> think we’d see many more reports of reinfection, instead of it being
> reported as unusual. As of early October, there were reportedly 6 known
> instance of reinfection.
> https://www.ajmc.com/view/first-case-of-covid-19-reinfection-detected-in-
> the-us

Flu vaccines are short-lived because the flu virus is constantly
reshuffling its genetic deck in a number of different ways; you may be
immune to last year's common strain but not this year's, or maybe the
vaccine production guys covered you against four common strains but not a
rare one, or ...

There are many different viruses creating the common cold (several
coronaviruses, lots of rhinoviruses) so you'll get hit by one of the
dozens you don't have immunity to.

COVID-19 doesn't seem to be mutating like the flu viruses, and there's
only the one major strain, so if the good news from the research front
holds up, we ought to be able to beat this thing.

Tony Z
optimist

--
Et vocavit Deus, "Fiat lux!"