[LMB] QUOTES (Yes, I AM shouting!)

WILLIAM A WENRICH wawenri at msn.com
Tue Sep 1 03:25:42 BST 2020

I started working with computers at Sandia National Laboratories. While waiting for my clearance, I was given a DEC-10 manual, a Fortran 4 manual, and a Silent 700 terminal with a 300 baud acoustic modem and told, "We need a programmer. Teach yourself how to program." One of the things I did during the next 35 years was to build the first large (several buildings) network at Sandia and the first email system, CC:Mail. One of the earliest problems we had was with another set of programs (I honestly can't remember the name) that insisted that they had the rights to anything that started with the letters "CC". An interesting point was that, for the first time, Sandians had to have their own user names. The powers that be settled on First initial, Middle initial, and first five letters of the last name. Notice my email address. The fact that Sandia had two Raymond W. Smiths at the time, who we had to differentiate, just added spice.

William A Wenrich
Christian, Husband, Father, Granddaddy, Son, American. Here I stand. I can do no other. God help me.