[LMB] Beginning of ToI - was Re: Where are the dogs?

Joel Polowin jpolowin at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 7 05:06:00 BST 2020

> WILLIAM A WENRICH <wawenri at msn.com> wrote:
>> "Harvey Fishman" <fishman at panix.com> wrote:
>> I think that you are talking of different things there. I get the
>> impression that William is talking of off-the-shelf parts rather than
>> special purpose parts. If you are talking of ordinary semiconductors
>> rather than custom LSI then the result would be at least ten times as
>> large and do a hell of a lot less.
> Exactly, I was thinking of, at most, small scale integration.

Well, of *course* that wouldn't be workable.  Why would anyone build
a device with that level of modularity?  Bits would be failing all
the time; it would be almost continually in a state of non-repair.
It would be like the old SF stories of building-sized computers,
with dedicated teams of lab-coated assistants continually on the go,
replacing the vacuum tubes as they failed.  And of *course* that kind
of tech doesn't have the power of highly-integrated systems.

There isn't a good reason why devices can't have more replaceable
high-scale modules, at least a lot more than they do now.  Make it
possible to pull-and-replace more of the subsystems.  You might reach
diminishing returns when potential modules with more power can't be
supported by the circuit boards without those boards being replaced.
Obviously, some people will always want the smallest and most powerful
cutting-edge tech, but a lot of people would be just fine with keeping
their several-years-old devices so long as they were in good working
order.

Joel