[LMB] QUOTES (Yes, I AM shouting!)

A. Marina Fournier saffronrose at me.com
Mon Sep 7 08:39:21 BST 2020

On Aug 31, 2020, at 7:25 PM, WILLIAM A WENRICH <wawenri at msn.com> wrote:

> I started working with computers at Sandia National Laboratories.

I miss the Sandias, even though I know SNL was on the other side of the Sandias from Albuquerque.

> While waiting for my clearance, I was given a DEC-10 manual

I think Alan Frisbee (of LQA fandom, but no relation to the toy folk, but his business is Flying Disk Systems) in the second half of the 1980’s, was a wizard with DEC-10s, and he could charge whatever rate he wanted, because it was a dying breed th.at some companies were unwilling to let go

> for the first time, Sandians had to have their own user names. The powers that be settled on First initial, Middle initial, and first five letters of the last name. Notice my email address. The fact that Sandia had two Raymond W. Smiths at the time, who we had to differentiate, just added spice.

Somewhere, my username/screenname was FOAM—maybe Getty (Oil, not either museum). Maybe I should use seaFOAM as a screenname sometime . . .pretty sure it wasn’t at Xerox Pasadena.

At the original museum, which building I preferred to the permanent collections, there was once an exhibit of lesser known Holbein sketches. The note by one of them, of Grace, Lady Parker, believed the wide-set eyes were unreal. I thought I was looking right at Cissy Spacek, whose eyes *are* that wideset. I think she was my favorite portrait at that exhibit.

Ah, well. Ancient days.

Marina