[LMB] SF Inventions I want

Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Mon Sep 7 11:41:12 BST 2020

On Sun, 6 Sep 2020 18:25:24 -0700, Robert Woodward via Lois-Bujold
<lois-bujold at lists.herald.co.uk> wrote:

>> On Sep 6, 2020, at 5:30 PM, Marc Wilson <marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 31 Aug 2020 14:11:43 +0000 (UTC), "Karen A. Wyle"
>> <kawyle at att.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Many years ago, my husband wrote part of a screenplay for Star Trek: Next Generation, about a crewman with religious objections to the transporter on just that ground. Through mischance, he was the only one in position to do an emergency transport off a ship that was about to explode. He refused, since the crew would be dead
either way and he didn't want to be the one to kill them. A court martial ensued . . . .
>>> Karen A. Wyle
>>>   On Monday, August 31, 2020, 09:38:14 AM EDT, Gwynne Powell <gwynnepowell at hotmail.com> wrote:
>>> I'm in two minds about teleporters - on the one hand, they're
>>> convenient. OTOH, you die every time you use one.
>>>
>>> .co.uk/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/lois-bujold
>>
>> I'm recalling a story where that consideration lead to a form of Sufism
>> becoming the dominant religion…
>
>Would it be one of the “Reformed Sufi” stories (written by Ray Brown) that appeared in Analog in 1982 and 1983? Titles were "A Change of Employment”, "Looking for the Celestial Master”, “Credos”, and "Identity Crisis”.

It's more than possible.  It was very much *not* a Trek universe story;
sorry for any confusion.
--
"Some people couldn't get a clue during clue mating
season in a field full of horny clues if they smeared their