[LMB] SF Inventions I want

Katherine Collett kcollett at hamilton.edu
Tue Sep 8 22:39:13 BST 2020

On Sep 8, 2020, at 4:57 PM, J Woodruff <profjenn12 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am working on Welsh as well. Many of the practice sentences have the
> student greeting a dragon. :)

I used to know Middle Welsh, a bit, in graduate school.  I suppose I could still struggle through the Mabinogion with heavy use of a glossary.  I took the Anglo-Saxon, Norse, and Celtic tripos at Cambridge -- largely because of Tolkien, though also influenced by Rosemary Sutcliff, especially Sword at Sunset.  I took Old English, Middle Welsh, Old Norse/Icelandic (same thing), and various related literature and history classes there, then added Old Irish and continued Old English and Old Norse at U. Penn.  I think there was some medieval Latin in there somewhere (I'd done Latin and Greek as an undergraduate, as well as one class in historical linguistics).  I didn't know any of these languages _well_, you understand, but I certainly had a lot of fun.

Katherine