[LMB] SF Inventions I want

Zan Lynx zlynx at acm.org
Wed Sep 9 21:52:45 BST 2020

On 9/9/20 2:44 PM, Harvey Fishman wrote:
> My system board has two Xeon E5-2620s. I did not realize that there were
> various kinds.

The change is fairly recent I think. With all of the cores they're
packing into a single Xeon these days most buyers would rather pay less
for a less complex board and chip and just put one Xeon with 18 cores on
a small board.

Then you can take those small boards and rack 12 of them together with
400 Gbps "Ethernet" (more like PCIe). For most parallel jobs this is
just as good.

--
                 Knowledge is Power -- Power Corrupts
                         Study Hard -- Be Evil