[LMB] Duolingo, was SF Inventions I want

Damien Sullivan phoenix at mindstalk.net
Thu Sep 10 02:00:55 BST 2020

On Wed, Sep 09, 2020 at 04:13:56PM -0400, Sylvia McIvers wrote:

> Is anyone else here using duolingo?
> Is it a case of "you get what you pay for" or does it really work?

Depends what you mean by 'work'.  You'll learn something by using it.
Will it get you fluency by itself?  Probably not.

I had already studied Spanish grammar, and part of Japanese grammar, so
I found Duo useful mostly for gamifying practice, so that I do at least
a little bit every day to keep things fresh.  (I have not been a high
priority language student.)  I would guess I learned more overall
Spanish vocabulary from going through a 5000 word flash card deck on
Anki; that said, Duo still exposes me to new words.

It's a potentially useful component.

FWIW, a friend who teaches German in the US was assigning Duo to her
students, so she at least thought it was useful.

The website version is a lot less annoying than the Android app.