[LMB] transporter wrongness OT:

Matthew George matt.msg at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 23:10:44 BST 2020

On Thu, Sep 10, 2020 at 12:53 AM Joel Polowin <jpolowin at hotmail.com> wrote:

> It can't be done... except on those occasions when it happens.

One of those clauses is active voice, and one is passive.   That's not an
accident.

> And, again, there are canonical sources that describe
> in detail that the transporter works by destroying the original.

The problem with ST canon is that it's absurd, self-contradictory, and
wildly inconsistent.  So we have to pick and choose.  How can we do this
intelligently?  By looking at which cases are most compatible with the
overall setting.

Guess which stories make the most sense given the society presented in the
show?

There are also stories which aren't compatible with either of the proposed
explanations for how the transporters work - such as the one where four
people were somehow physiologically reverted to childhood while retaining
their adult minds.  It was very entertaining, but it made absolutely no
sense.

Matt G.