[LMB] Curse like Captain Haddock

Howard Brazee howard at brazee.net
Sat Sep 19 23:46:14 BST 2020

I remember reading books in my youth where we were told about how a protagonist admired the skill that a sidekick had at cursing.   Of course we never got to see it ourselves.

I’m thinking that if this fantasy was real, then good writers would *show* us.

But there is a problem with this.   Times change and what is edgy language changes.    The TV series “Deadwood” was accurate in spirit but not in detail by giving people dirty mouths—except with dirty language of the viewer.   If it gave them dirty mouths that would be accurate for the time, viewers would have laughed.