[LMB] Curse like Captain Haddock

Joel Polowin jpolowin at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 20 16:05:04 BST 2020

Howard Brazee <howard at brazee.net> wrote:
> I remember reading books in my youth where we were told about how
> a protagonist admired the skill that a sidekick had at cursing.
> Of course we never got to see it ourselves.

Heinlein's _Starship Troopers_ is one that I recall:

"He went on and on and I began to forget my goose flesh in hearing him
storm.  He never once repeated himself and he never used either profanity
or obscenity.  (I learned later that he saved those for _very_ special
occasions, which this wasn’t.)  But he described our shortcomings,
physical, mental, moral, and genetic, in great and insulting detail.  But
somehow I was not insulted; I became greatly interested in studying his
command of language.  I wished that we had had him on our debate team."

Joel