[LMB] OT: More words that I HATE!!

Margaret Dean margdean56 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 03:32:37 BST 2020

On Mon, Sep 21, 2020 at 6:59 PM Howard Brazee <howard at brazee.net> wrote:

> I am bothered when lyrics replace the “g” in words ending with “ing” with
> an apostrophe.   Does it *really* make a difference in how people sing?

It's true that replacing the "g" with an apostrophe isn't a very accurate
representation of what's happening in such cases--which is not that a "g"
sound is being dropped, but that the NG sound (the velar nasal, which
happens to be written "ng" in English) is being replaced by the N sound
(the alveolar nasal, usually just written as "n").

--Margaret Dean
  <margdean56 at gmail.com>