[LMB] OT: More words that I HATE!!

Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Wed Sep 23 16:31:19 BST 2020

On Tue, 22 Sep 2020 16:24:37 -0400, Fred <fred.fredex at gmail.com> wrote:

>it's there because they sound like  "tall-k" or  "wall-k', not tok or wok.
>but I have to admit there may be regional accents that drop the l, though
>I've not encountered one.

In standard British English, 'talk' and 'torque' are usually homophones.
So the 'l' is not sounded as explicitly as "tall-k" would suggest, but
it does modify the sound, otherwise it would be a homophone with "tack".

Some accents lean a little heavier on the 'l' than others, of course,
including "RP".
--
News: rich people paying rich people to tell middleclass people to blame poor people.
 - graffito