[LMB] OT: More words that I HATE!!

Matthew George matt.msg at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 22:43:37 BST 2020

On Tue, Sep 22, 2020 at 7:26 PM B. Ross Ashley <brashley46 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have never heard it, quite, from any native speakers of English, except
> for
> in the word "balk". That, I myself  pronounce the l in.

Possibly people are learning the written word, then pronouncing it as it
appears, sensibly, rather than how tradition demands.

> The other two are more like wawk and tawk. (Definitely not wok and tok.)

Now, that's interesting - with English spelling conventions, wok and tok
ARE pronounced as wawk and tawk, more or less.  If we wrote them in IPA,
they'd be something like wɑ:k  and tɑ:k.  I can't do superscripts in this
mail program, so you'll have to imagine the tiny raised letter H's after
the t and k's representing the aspiration.

You'd have to add a silent e after each to raise the preceding vowel:  woke
and toke, which we might crudely render as wohk and tohk.

Matt G.