[LMB] OT: More words that I HATE!!

thirlsmith at greenbee.net thirlsmith at greenbee.net
Fri Sep 25 15:39:20 BST 2020

Replying to Eric: that V for W was IIRC a Cockney mannerism in the early C19 - Marryat (Peter Simple) also refers to it. It has lapsed since, but I cannot remember why or exactly when. In other parts of the country "waistcoat" might be "weskit", as Tolkien puts it into the mouth of Ham Gamgee.

I believe also that (pace my countryman Mr Wilson) Johnson, on our side of the pond, had at least as much to do with the divergence of spelling as Webster on the other side. But I am very open to correction on this point.

Martin