[LMB] OT: More words that I HATE!!

Kevin Kennedy kevink45 at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 25 16:42:08 BST 2020

I just encountered alter for altar.

________________________________
From: Lois-Bujold <lois-bujold-bounces at lists.herald.co.uk> on behalf of thirlsmith at greenbee.net <thirlsmith at greenbee.net>
Sent: Friday, September 25, 2020 10:39:20 AM
To: 'Discussion of the works of Lois McMaster Bujold.' <lois-bujold at lists.herald.co.uk>
Subject: Re: [LMB] OT: More words that I HATE!!

Replying to Eric: that V for W was IIRC a Cockney mannerism in the early C19 - Marryat (Peter Simple) also refers to it. It has lapsed since, but I cannot remember why or exactly when. In other parts of the country "waistcoat" might be "weskit", as Tolkien puts it into the mouth of Ham Gamgee.

I believe also that (pace my countryman Mr Wilson) Johnson, on our side of the pond, had at least as much to do with the divergence of spelling as Webster on the other side. But I am very open to correction on this point.

Martin