[LMB] Old SF

WILLIAM A WENRICH wawenri at msn.com
Sat Sep 26 22:40:36 BST 2020

Rereading Omnilingual by Piper. The viewpoint character is a woman, one of the main characters is a Turkish/German man, and another is a Japanese woman.
The story concerns archeologists investigating the extinct Martian civilization. The most jarring thing for me was that everyone smoked, all the time.
It wouldn’t have to be Mars, any extinct civilization would do.

The trend in current fiction seems to me to lean over backwards to include every possible demographic. Albuquerque is about three percent African-American. Before COVID-19, there were about 400 people at a church service and there were about 8 African-Americans in 4 families. While that is not 3%, the difference is not statistically significant.

William A Wenrich