[LMB] Old SF

Louann Miller domelouann at gmail.com
Sun Sep 27 00:35:46 BST 2020

Omnilingual is a great story. I remember Piper's habit of mixing the
ethnicity of first and last names to be futuristic. But it's an example of
what Beatrice is saying too. Names aside, all the characters are culturally
just like white middle class Americans of Piper's time. That's part of
where the incessant smoking comes from. There are a few exceptions in his
work. I remember a Sikh character, probably in a Fuzzy book, who followed
Sikh custom as far as carrying a knife literally religiously.