[LMB] OT: More words that I HATE!!

Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Mon Sep 28 00:11:06 BST 2020

On Fri, 25 Sep 2020 15:39:20 +0100, <thirlsmith at greenbee.net> wrote:

>Replying to Eric: that V for W was IIRC a Cockney mannerism in the early C19 - Marryat (Peter Simple) also refers to it. It has lapsed since, but I cannot remember why or exactly when. In other parts of the country "waistcoat" might be "weskit", as Tolkien puts it into the mouth of Ham Gamgee.
>
>I believe also that (pace my countryman Mr Wilson) Johnson, on our side of the pond, had at least as much to do with the divergence of spelling as Webster on the other side. But I am very open to correction on this point.

I think what Johnson achieved was to *regularise* spelling; up to the
publication of his dictionary, it was far more mutable.

Webster set out, with malice aforethought, to establish non-British
spellings.
--
Whenever people say 'we mustn't be sentimental,' you can take it
they are about to do something cruel. And if they add, 'we must