[LMB] Old SF

WILLIAM A WENRICH wawenri at msn.com
Mon Sep 28 14:37:29 BST 2020

I agree. “The poor you have always with you.” A family of four with central air conditioning, two TV sets, and two cars is well to do in the early fifties but might be on welfare in the twenty first century. Add in a broadband connection and a laptop (or more) and it’s not possible for anyone in the fifties.
In the early fifties schools were still segregated by law, Truman had just desegregated the army, and Brown v The Board of Education was not until 1954.
On a personal note, when I was stationed in Thailand in 1968, my stepfather told me that I wouldn’t be welcomed home with a Thai wife. He died in 1969. My little sister (10.5 years younger than me) is married to an African American. The whole family was devastated when she miscarried. They have adopted three of his grandchildren (his daughter’s from a previous marriage). I also have several biracial great nephews and nieces.
Attitudes change. Bigots die off.

William A Wenrich