[LMB] Old SF

anmar Caver anmar.mirza at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 18:54:27 BST 2020

On Monday, September 28, 2020, Alex Kwan <litalex at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> > On 29 Sep 2020, at 01:35, Eric Oppen <ravenclaweric at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > One reason to avoid writing about people that are different is the legion
> > of people who'll jump all over an author who does so for any perceived
> > mistake.
>
> All the more reason for diversity amongst editors.

Granted, but I’ve dealt with a lot of this in queer issues: I’ll write
something from my perspective as a queer, nonbinary person and be jumped by
other folks in the lgbtq+ community because I “got it wrong.”  Ummm,
sunshine, I’m pretty sure I got “me” right. It doesn’t help diversity
issues when a lot of it is fractured way worse than most religions; if you
don’t believe exactly the way -I- do then you will be burned for heresy.

So while the entire industry would be best served as a representative cross
section of the diversity in the larger culture, Eric’s point is a valid
one.

--
Anmar Mirza EMT, N9ISY, NCRC National Coordinator, RBNC President