[LMB] OT: More words that I HATE!!

Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Mon Sep 28 22:20:53 BST 2020

On Sun, 27 Sep 2020 23:15:39 +0000, "Harvey Fishman" <fishman at panix.com>
wrote:

> [...]

Potayto, potahto.  The point was, it was done to be different, rather
than to be "correct".

Colo(u)r is pronounced "culler", in reality: neither spelling is
phonetic.

The "u" crept in from the French "couleur", which derived ultimately
from the Latin "color" - so that was the pretext.  But neither spelling
reflects the pronunciation.
--
Make headphone wires out of shoelaces and shoelaces out of old
headphone wires.  That way your headphones will always untie