[LMB] Old SF

Zan Lynx zlynx at acm.org
Mon Sep 28 23:18:38 BST 2020

[snip]

On 9/28/2020 3:12 PM, Marc Wilson wrote:

> That's what the whole Sad/Rabid Puppies debacle was about.

That may be what SOME PEOPLE thought it was about. I support Sad Puppies
(don't talk about Rabids) and that is not what I SUPPORTED.

I support the idea that GOOD STORIES come ahead of any amount of
political correctness. A story should never be given an award because it
happens to have the correct mixture of character types or have authors
from whatever identity group is trendy.

Awards should only be given because the story is considered good by a
large number of award voters. And YES, that is from my white male
definition of a good story. Other voters can use their personal
definitions and what gets the most votes wins.

So I reject the notion that Sad Puppies was about "too many black
people, too many women, ..." and being uncomfortable.

If anyone thinks that's what it meant, I believe that says more about
them than it does about Sad Puppy supporters. Because to believe that
meant rewriting Sad Puppy statements into what the observer thought it
must have really meant, and COMPLETELY IGNORING what was actually said.

And ignoring plain statements in favor of made up imagination is
something that drives me NUTS.

--
                 Knowledge is Power -- Power Corrupts
                         Study Hard -- Be Evil