[LMB] Old SF

Damien Sullivan phoenix at mindstalk.net
Wed Sep 30 23:32:08 BST 2020

Communist-approved writer Zan Lynx wrote:

> It's not a "hill I want to die on". I just think it is very silly for anyone
> to be upset that they are approved of. Or that it should matter. Anyone with

So you wouldn't find it upsetting at all if Communists or terrorists
started endorsing you and publically associating you with them?

> a brain that can use logic should be able to see that what other people say
> about you has nothing to do with you. It does not change what you've written
> or what you believe in.

The Puppy slates weren't random lists of recommendations, they were a
politicized attempt to push back on perceived politicization of the
Hugos, an attempt to change outcomes through coordinated voting.  It is
not at all illogical for authors to not want to be associated with that,
and to disclaim the Puppy 'help' in winning a Hugo.

> The dance thing does not apply here. A better analogy would be a girl who
> gets upset when the boy her in-group dislikes writes a yearbook entry about
> her.
>
> "Louann dances very well. It is a joy to watch her."
>   -- by Despised Outcast

Except that science fiction is more about ideas and politics than
dancing is.

"Zan Lynx writes very well.  It is a joy to read him.  I recommend him
to all jihadists seeking to bring down the USA." -- bin Laden