[LMB] Miles and Ivan at Military academy

Joel Polowin jpolowin at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 7 01:09:59 BST 2021

Pouncer <pouncer at aol.com> wrote:
> So, how?  Was a bunch of the material history or military
> tactics that the boys had learned via stories from Piotr and
> Aral?  Were both so well home-schooled in math or science
> that university level course work was a repeat? Is much of
> the material memorizing the names and ranks of the chain
> of command -- which both merely have to translate? (Uncle this is
> Admiral and Cousin that is General and Da's old shipmate Thus-and-So...
> is at home fleet and ...)

I'd expect that Miles absorbed a lot of it by being present during
Aral's meetings.  I'm dubious that Ivan was around for much of that.
But Ivan had the advantage of the "Vorpatril memory" in absorbing
and retaining schoolwork; the challenge in that regard was getting
him to process the info rather than merely regurgitate it, as with
the significance of the colour of the scroll regarding Miles's being
summoned.

Joel