[LMB] Madness

WILLIAM A WENRICH wawenri at msn.com
Mon Jun 7 14:02:38 BST 2021

Mieke quotes Lois in his sig - Half of what we call madness is just some poor slob dealing with pain by a strategy that annoys the people around him - Lois McMaster Bujold.

Got me thinking about what our response should be to the annoying person. Beta can give them psychiatric help, whether they want it or not, but we can’t do that. I’m not sure that I would approve if we could. I’m not talking about “dark Beta” but the USSR. (The USSR is a workers paradise and, if you disagree, you are out of touch with reality.) I wonder that all Betans were not walking around smiling all the time, not from anything sinister, but from people wanting to help.
In RL, we can’t even cure addictions or PTSD. What about people who go beyond annoying to an actual danger to others or themselves?

William A Wenrich