[LMB] Nebula Awards announced

alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca
Mon Jun 7 19:15:22 BST 2021

The 2020 Nebula Awards were announced Saturday.

See the list at https://locusmag.com/2021/06/2020-nebula-awards-winners/

Martha Wells' _Network Effect_ won best novel. It's her first full-length
Murderbot novel, and I highly recommend it - great action, lots of fraught
character interactions, some really cool plot twists and a satisfying
ending.

Of the runners-up, I read _The Midnight Bargain_ by CL Polk and enjoyed
it. It's a well-done feminist romance with good world-building; Bujold
readers who liked ACC or The Sharing Knife series might like it.

I also read Piranesi by Susanna Clarke, but despite liking JSaMN, I found
this one had all the humanity leached out of it.

The best novella winner was Ring Shout by P. Djèlí Clark which I again
highly recommend. It combines the KKK and aliens into a fast-moving,
fraught adventure with some real moments of terror and a great ending:
very memorable.

I didn't read/watch any of the other nominees.

Anyone else have any comments on any of the winners/nominees?

Alayne

--
Alayne McGregor
alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca