[LMB] Madness

Howard Brazee howard at brazee.net
Tue Jun 8 12:57:05 BST 2021

> On Jun 7, 2021, at 11:47 PM, Gwynne Powell <gwynnepowell at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> Got me thinking about what our response should be to the annoying person. Beta can give them psychiatric help, whether they want it or not, but we can?t do that. I?m not sure that I would approve if we could. I?m not talking about ?dark Beta? but the USSR. (The USSR is a workers paradise and, if you disagree, you are out of touch with reality.) I wonder that all Betans were not walking around smiling all the time, not from anything sinister, but from people wanting to help.

Things change, but right now it appears that a likely scenario would be for an ubiquitous automated Big Brother looking for anything dangerous.   That would make it appear that we don’t have sentries looking for weapons at sporting events and transportation hubs.   But it would also look for road rage and even grocery store madness.

But if they locate dangers and stop them early, then what?   Just watch people more closely?   Put pressure on them to accept “cures” (as Winston Smith’s “cure”?).    China wants to eliminate its versions of “Q” by controlling the Internet.

Or maybe just control the press so such actions are “unthinkable”.   We are so peer driven that when we know bad things happen, we are much more willing to do them ourselves.