[LMB] ListBiz: How is everyone doing? OT: churches coming out of pandemic

Katherine (Kathy) Collett kcollett at hamilton.edu
Tue Jun 8 18:40:28 BST 2021

On Jun 8, 2021, at 12:41 PM, Margaret Dean <margdean56 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Church services have been on YouTube, classes and meetings have
> been on Zoom, and there have been enough upsides to that (e.g.,
> geographically distant members and friends being able to participate) that
> it will probably continue to a degree.

We definitely plan to continue hybrid services (and meetings), for the upsides you mention, plus people who can’t get out and about, and during winter storms!

> ... but, in the interim, our choir director and her husband (who's our
> video guru among other things) had an arrangement where individual choir
> members recorded their parts of an anthem following a "click tape" (so that
> everyone's tempo would match) and sent the recordings to Linda to be
> combined into a single recorded anthem.

Our choir director has been doing the same — we record our tracks, mostly of hymns, psalms, and service music rather than anthems, and he puts them together, making us sound much better than our individual tracks would indicate!  I think the current diocesan guidelines would allow 4 masked singers into the church (still with no congregational singing), but we’re continuing with the virtual choir for now.  And now that we’ve been recording pieces for over a year, he can re-use recordings from last year and save himself some of the hours of work it takes to put a hymn together.

Katherine