[LMB] Navigation/Cryoburn was Re: The cities of Australia and other maps

alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca
Tue Jun 8 19:15:04 BST 2021

On Tue, 8 Jun 2021, Gwynne Powell wrote:
> I have a problem with geography. I have no sense of direction and
> very little idea of where anything is - I learn one way to get to a place,
> and have to follow that track whenever I go there. When lost I just
> move in increasingly large circles until I hit something I recognise. I
> allow half an hour 'getting lost' time when going anywhere new.
>
> And I'm proud to say that this breath-taking level of incompetence
> carries over to the geography site. I know a few places well, everything
> else is just sort of fuzzy.
>
> Oddly, I'm brilliant at map reading - but of course I've had so much practice.

My mother had the same problem: if we didn't take the same route every
time to a place, she would get lost. I wonder if this is an inherent
difficulty in creating/applying a map to the real world?

I'm the opposite. With the pandemic, I've been walking more in my
neighbourhood, and I've been enjoying finding new byways and unexpected
ways home. I'm generally able to navigate even in places I don't know in
cities that I've just touched down in.

OTOH, I just reread Cryoburn last night, and I would NOT like to be trying
to find my way out of cryotombs in the pitch dark as Miles has to at the
beginning of that book - especially when his angel illusions weren't any
use for illumination.

(We never actually learn how Miles got IN to the cryotombs, BTW - I always
presumed it was in a drug/attack-induced rush to find a hiding place.)

Alayne

--
Alayne McGregor
alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca