[LMB] We Need a Word For This

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 8 20:01:03 BST 2021

From: John Lennard <john.c.lennard at gmail.com>

Gwynne: Sometimes, out of the blue, I get the urge to reread a particular
scene in a book - usually one of Lois's.
But we need a word for that urge to reread a specific scene.

John: Faviterating.
The general activity is comfort-dipping or -browsing, but in this more
purposeful, not to say compulsive, return to a very well-known scene, there
is an iteration of particular favourites. One might also say touchstoning,
but it has more dubious echoic affinities with lapidation. Thus:

Gwynne: Ohhh I like that!