[LMB] An interesting crossover

Matija Grabnar lmb at matija.com
Fri Jun 11 15:32:51 BST 2021

On 11/06/2021 12:09, Gwynne Powell wrote:
> Looking at the famous shopping trip, and the end of Vordarian.
> "You can't do-"  and she cut his head off. Didn't bother to let him
> finish the sentence.
>
> And the other day I remembered some wisdom from another favourite
> author. In one of Terry Pratchett's Diskworld books (the one with the
> gonne, I think - forget the title right now, mind's a blank) there was a
> comment that a bad man will talk and talk, but a good man will kill
> without hesitation. If a good man decides you need to be dead, he just
> kills you. A bad man gloats, boasts, chats, etc.
>
> And when Cordelia killed Vordarian, she didn't stop for a conversation.
> He didn't even get to finish the sentence. He needed to be dead, so she
> took care of that. So.... Cordelia is a very good woman.

I have great respect both for Terry Pratchett and for Cordelia, but I
disagree.

The biggest (real-life) villains I can think of made slaughter of
innocent people an industrial affair, with no speeches at the point of
killing, just mass, merciless slaughter.

They decided that those (innocent) people needed to be killed (for
reasons based on lies and propaganda), and they slaughtered them, with
no mercy, no alternative like a surrender (arguably, after surrender),
nothing but death.