[LMB] new Bujold podcast interview up at Smart Bitches

alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca
Sat Jun 12 05:08:16 BST 2021

Thanks for the link, Lois. Good interview! (I must admit I read the
transcript because I don't have the time to listen right now.)

What I found particularly interesting was the discussion of
"the worst possible thing I can do to these characters?"

--
Lois: "I’m very glad you asked that question because of his, the line has
been much, much quoted and much misunderstood out of context. And I’m

[...] So it’s, it’s meant to be, you know, this, this is the scalpel
by which we lay them open, you know. The plot is, plot is what you use to,
you know, do exploratory surgery on a character. For every character,
there will be a different, different most-revealing thing.

[...]It changes with every character, so it, it’s not, you know, it’s not
an invitation to pile on horrors."
--

I found that very enlightening, especially having just read Lois'
afterword to Cordelia's Honor. There Lois talks about the price of

Bearing and saving and rearing Miles wasn't the worst thing that could
have happened to Cordelia but it certainly was the most revealing.

Alayne

--
Alayne McGregor
alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca