[LMB] OT: International sales and Copyright

WILLIAM A WENRICH wawenri at msn.com
Tue Jun 15 13:46:34 BST 2021

I really don’t understand how the international copyright laws work, or don’t work in some cases. I think that it is a separate branch of law. We had a discussion on list about intellectual property many years ago before publishing switched from mainly dead tree to digital. I don’t think that the laws have been updated much since then.
If you add in translation problems and delays, things can get very frustrating.
Niven complained about the translation of “The Mercenary” into German changing the characters and the tone of the story.
Wasn’t there one of Lois’s books that was available in Eastern Europe before England?
Are Lois’s books translated from American English to other forms of English as to spelling (honor- honour) or words that are different? Does a groundcar have a bonnet and a boot or a hood and a trunk? What about a light flyer?

William A Wenrich