[LMB] OT: International sales and Copyright

WILLIAM A WENRICH wawenri at msn.com
Wed Jun 16 04:54:49 BST 2021

Correct, it was Pournelle.

William A Wenrich
________________________________
From: Lois-Bujold <lois-bujold-bounces at lists.herald.co.uk> on behalf of Robert Woodward <Robert_A_Woodward at comcast.net>
Sent: Tuesday, June 15, 2021 9:49:37 AM
To: Discussion of the works of Lois McMaster Bujold. <lois-bujold at lists.herald.co.uk>
Subject: Re: [LMB] OT: International sales and Copyright

> On Jun 15, 2021, at 5:46 AM, WILLIAM A WENRICH <wawenri at msn.com> wrote:
>
> I really don’t understand how the international copyright laws work, or don’t work in some cases. I think that it is a separate branch of law. We had a discussion on list about intellectual property many years ago before publishing switched from mainly dead tree to digital. I don’t think that the laws have been updated much since then.
> If you add in translation problems and delays, things can get very frustrating.
> Niven complained about the translation of “The Mercenary” into German changing the characters and the tone of the story.

Wouldn’t that had been Pournelle?

> Wasn’t there one of Lois’s books that was available in Eastern Europe before England?

Because of publishing delays of the anthology, “Winterfair Gifts” was available in (was it Croatia?) in Eastern Europe before United States.

Robert Woodward robertaw at drizzle.com

Lois-Bujold mailing list message sent to wawenri at msn.com
Lois-Bujold at lists.herald.co.uk
https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Flists.herald.co.uk%2Fcgi-bin%2Fmailman%2Flistinfo%2Flois-bujold&data=04%7C01%7C%7C4b3ec53c3e104c43674208d93015abc8%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637593691901492248%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&sdata=OgqaD8scuXN%2FFJmHAdt7KZ9%2BAOFK1gMicFls6lWK5%2FA%3D&reserved=0