[LMB] Centrifugal gravity, was Re: Cordelia's College sport

Matija Grabnar lmb at matija.com
Wed Jun 16 12:41:43 BST 2021

On 16/06/2021 11:43, WalterStuartBushell wrote:
> Big problem is there is no air, food or water without high technology and for Mars.

"High technology" is a relative term. The fishhook, irrigation and
lightning rod were all considered high technology in their time.

It has been demonstrated that we can derive oxygen out of Mars
atmosphere. We know there is water ice there (melting ice for water is
not high technology these days, though it used to be, way back when).

Will it take some experimentation before we can reliably grow food on
Mars? Sure. Does that mean it is impossible? Nah. Will it be high
technology? Only if you use it to grow grass. ;-)

>   Some people want to power Mars settlements with
> solar panels, but they degrade and Mars has violent dust storms. Nuclear power has
> the same disadvantages.
No, nuclear power has different disadvantages. For one, it would not be
affected by the dust storms. There's no reason why you couldn't use
both, in order to fill the coverage holes of one with the other. We do
the same thing on earth.
> So far we’ve been able to sent small rovers to Mars at great expense and objective
> apprehension at mission control over the Rube Goldberg method of landing.
The landing system is complicated because it is bad to kick up dust with
your exhaust when you are landing (it can damage your vehicle). Once you
have a landing pad kept free of thick dust layers, your landing system
can be much simpler.
> Which requires fusion which was 20 years away in the late 1950s and is probably
> 30-40 years away. The Universal Architect may have made it impossible.

Nice strawman. Would fusion be enormously useful? Absolutely. Is fusion
receding because it is almost impossible? No.

Yes, it is difficult, but many of the problems are of a financial
nature. The "20 years away" part comes with a softer spoken "given
funding of $x for each of those years". Now, if your funding source
allocated $x/2 or $x/5, then it will take not only 2 or 5 times longer,
but even more, as more money (percentage wise) will be used for keeping
records, training new people, keeping the lights on in the under-used
testing facilities etc. Maybe cutting the trip time to Mars is what it
takes to finally get fusion research some reliable funding.