[LMB] Centrifugal gravity, was Re: Cordelia's College sport

Matija Grabnar lmb at matija.com
Wed Jun 16 20:37:45 BST 2021

On 16/06/2021 17:26, Eric Oppen wrote:
> The thing of it is, state-of-the-art is always evolving, and we're always
> finding new things.  The computer I'm using to send this message has, I am
> told, more computing power than the center that sent Apollo 11 to the
> moon.

I've not been immediately able to get a description what the Apollo-age
NASA computer center  looked like, but if you're using a USB keyboard,
the keyboard has more processing power (and faster communications) than
the computers that flew on the stages of the Apollo vehicle.

> Back when my father was a boy, flying nonstop across the Atlantic was a
> Very Big Deal.  One of the Lord Peter Wimsey short stories has, as a
> suspense-heightener, Wimsey and a skilled pilot flying the Atlantic.  These
> days, trans-oceanic flight is routine; I know people who go across the
> Herring Pond as normally as I go downtown.

I remember reading a classical memoir from the late middle ages. When
they were going to the nearby city, the count and his family got up at 5
in the morning (the servants got up earlier, of course), and they rode
their carriage (for the ladies) and rode the horses (for the count and
his son), crossing streams and a river, until they reached their
destination in the early afternoon. Then they bathed, and had a nap, and
in the evening they were fit for a light meal, with friends (but not for
serious company, that would have to wait at least until the next day).

I knew their route pretty well: it was pretty close to my daily commute,
and back in those days I had a short commute.

> Just because it's not practicable NOW doesn't mean it NEVER will be.
I very much agree.