[LMB] Centrifugal gravity, was Re: Cordelia's College sport

Richard G. Molpus rgmolpus at flash.net
Wed Jun 16 21:29:34 BST 2021

To put that story in perspective, the reason most County seat cities in the western US are thirty miles apart was that 30 miles was abput as far as a one-horse wagon with a load could go in a day.
A person can walk 60 miles in a day (16 hours) but they really need a night's sleep and a good meal, afterwards.

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

  On Wed, Jun 16, 2021 at 2:45 PM, Matija Grabnar via Lois-Bujold<lois-bujold at lists.herald.co.uk> wrote:   On 16/06/2021 17:26, Eric Oppen wrote:
> The thing of it is, state-of-the-art is always evolving, and we're always
> finding new things.  The computer I'm using to send this message has, I am
> told, more computing power than the center that sent Apollo 11 to the
> moon.

I've not been immediately able to get a description what the Apollo-age
NASA computer center  looked like, but if you're using a USB keyboard,
the keyboard has more processing power (and faster communications) than
the computers that flew on the stages of the Apollo vehicle.

> Back when my father was a boy, flying nonstop across the Atlantic was a
> Very Big Deal.  One of the Lord Peter Wimsey short stories has, as a
> suspense-heightener, Wimsey and a skilled pilot flying the Atlantic.  These
> days, trans-oceanic flight is routine; I know people who go across the
> Herring Pond as normally as I go downtown.

I remember reading a classical memoir from the late middle ages. When
they were going to the nearby city, the count and his family got up at 5
in the morning (the servants got up earlier, of course), and they rode
their carriage (for the ladies) and rode the horses (for the count and
his son), crossing streams and a river, until they reached their
destination in the early afternoon. Then they bathed, and had a nap, and
in the evening they were fit for a light meal, with friends (but not for
serious company, that would have to wait at least until the next day).

I knew their route pretty well: it was pretty close to my daily commute,
and back in those days I had a short commute.

> Just because it's not practicable NOW doesn't mean it NEVER will be.
I very much agree.

Lois-Bujold mailing list message sent to rgmolpus at flash.net
Lois-Bujold at lists.herald.co.uk