[LMB] Paging Ma Kosti OT: Masala chai!

A. Marina Fournier saffronrose at me.com
Thu Jun 17 00:07:00 BST 2021

On Jun 16, 2021, at 2:46 PM, Sylvia McIvers <sylviamcivers at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a spice mix equal parts cinnamon, cloves, salt, pepper (well, less
> pepper by popular request)  that I use over chicken buried in onions.
> Delicious.  Makes the house smell great.
>
> But now I need a no-meat no-fowl way of serving this spice mix.  (fish,
> eggs, are ok)

Masala chai! the recipe I like best is adapted from https://www.mygingergarlickitchen.com/indian-masala-chai-recipe/ <https://www.mygingergarlickitchen.com/indian-masala-chai-recipe/> but to know more about the history, https://www.epicurious.com/expert-advice/masala-chai-history-recipe-article <https://www.epicurious.com/expert-advice/masala-chai-history-recipe-article>

https://www.mygingergarlickitchen.com/indian-masala-chai-recipe/ <https://www.mygingergarlickitchen.com/indian-masala-chai-recipe/> is where I started

3” ginger root, shredded or grated (original recipe calls for 1”/1T. ground ginger)
1/4 c. green cardamom pods
1.5 T. cinnamon, broken pieces
2 t. peppercorns or grains of paradise
1/2 T. dried orange peel or fresh orange zest
2 t. whole cloves
1 t. allspice berries

4 c. boiling water
2-4 c. whole milk (the fat is needed for flavor: add cream to compensate if using lower-fat milk)
2 t. tea leaves or 2 bags (dead-cheap, e.g. Lipton’s yellow label, included)
Sweetening of your choice, to your taste

Crush, shred, or grate ginger root. Peeling is optional.
Put into boiling water, keep boiling for another 5 minutes.

Crush/grind other spices, add to ginger-water, boil another 5-10 minutes, stirring  about once a minute, to encourage the spices to blend. It’s okay if you get distracted & they boil longer.

Add tea, boiling at medium heat (well, that’s what she wrote) for 4-5 min. Boiling it too much results in bitter tea. If you want stronger, but not bitter tea, use more tea bags.

Add milk and boil for 5 minutes: you’re aiming for a rich caramel color. Usually one adds sweetening here, but I let everyone sweeten it to their own taste, and with one’s preferred sweetener.

If you’ve used tea bags, remove them. Strain the liquid into cups (or a teapot or pitcher). Because I don’t have a mug-size tea-strainer, I put a wide mouth funnel under my larger sieve.

If you used fresh ginger, don’t toss the spices you strain out. Put the mass in a jar, refrigerate, and it may be used only once more.