[LMB] Centrifugal gravity, was Re: Cordelia's College sport

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 17 04:00:02 BST 2021

From: Raymond Collins <rcrcoll6 at gmail.com>

When I was a kid it was Christmas and we were trying to reach my German
grandparents, this was in 1970 or so, we would dial zero to have the
operator connect us for a overseas call. I remember my Grandfather getting
frustrated with the operator because the person couldn't understand that
the number being called was in Germany and had a different numbering
system.

Gwynne: Dad's family lived in a very rural area - they had an operator and
switchboard long after the rest of the country had a more efficient phone
system. But it was actually great, we'd be put through to the number and
if my aunt didn't answer Chrissy on the switch would be saying 'She's not
answering, but she's fine, I saw her go past to town this morning and she's
not back yet, would you like to talk to (her son) instead? She's well, she's
been busy with the CWA lately...'  We'd get all the local news from the woman
on the switchboard. It was actually a very good system.