[LMB] Centrifugal gravity, was Re: Cordelia's College sport

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 18 04:28:24 BST 2021

From: Raymond Collins <rcrcoll6 at gmail.com>

Back in the eighties I had the job of writing a newsletter  and then make
copies on a Gestetner mimeograph machine. The first time I used it I made
every mistake in the book, first putting the stencil on backwards.....

Gwynne: I remember the joys of using a gestetner. I went one better: I
used a jelly pad. This was a tray with a gelatine-based layer set solidly in
the bottom - I used to have the recipe for it. To use it, you used carbon paper
to write or draw whatever you wanted and then lay the stencil over the
jelly pad, let the ink sink in, and then pressed each page onto it, making a
copy. It was fantastic for putting maps, pictures or graphs into the students'
books - you could do a whole class before the ink sank too far and stopped
printing, but you had to be quick on hot days. And it meant no need for
scissors or paste. Bliss. Generally you could use it two or even three times
a day. When the ink built up too much, you just tossed it and cooked another
one. Ahhh the good old days.