[LMB] OT: Older tech

Harvey Fishman fishman at panix.com
Fri Jun 18 14:37:03 BST 2021

------ Original Message ------
From: alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca
To: "Discussion of the works of Lois McMaster Bujold."
<lois-bujold at lists.herald.co.uk>
Bcc: fishman at panix.com
Sent: 6/17/2021 10:41:03 PM
Subject: [LMB] OT: Older tech was Re: Centrifugal gravity, was Re:
Cordelia's College sport

>When I got to university, the student newspaper was printed on offset and we had proper typesetting and headlining machines. OTOH, the base technologies for layout were wax and paper and exacto knives. And God help you if you cut a piece of typeset copy one line too short and then lost that thin little piece of paper!
>
>Alayne
>
>-- Alayne McGregor
>alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca
Yes, but wax and paper and XActo knives is a POWERFUL concept. I
remember when I moved from Microsoft Word to Aldus Pagemaker back in the
1990s for producing a newsletter. It was a tremendous sense of freedom
once I climbed that mountain. Of course, the concepts were slow and
difficult and painful for me.

Harvey