[LMB] books for sale on Amazon

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 19 06:50:05 BST 2021

From: Elizabeth Holden <alzurite at gmail.com>

And be warned: you can't buy a gift certificate from amazon.ca and send it
to someone in the US or the UK (or, presumably, Australia, but I didn't try
that).  Or, rather, you can, and they make it easy, but then the recipient
has to spend it in Canada, which is useless, because they aren't there. And
Amazon doesn't officially give refunds on gift cards, no matter how wrongly
mis-sent.
I am often grumpy about international restrictions. Can you tell?
namaste,
Elizabeth

Gwynne: The most frustrating thing is that there's no reason for all the
barriers. It's an online company, it's international; why can't it function
properly? Why can't I buy an ebook from anywhere, instead of being
limited for no real reason but businesses extorting money without
providing any extra service? Why does some company have a right to
grab an extra cut of money simply because of where I live, without doing
anything to earn it? And why, in Elizabeth's example, can't we send a
simple gift card to another country? It's all done online, there's no reason
for the limitations.
Yes, it makes us all grumpy!