[LMB] General rules for Governments

Joel Polowin jpolowin at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 19 22:15:46 BST 2021

WILLIAM A WENRICH <wawenri at msn.com> wrote:
> What if Ser Galen had realized that he had and actual heir to the
> Vorkosigan district and had proceeded with lawfare instead of the
> crazy substitution plot?

Even by Betan laws, I don't think Mark would have been considered an
heir to the Vorkosigan line until and unless he was acknowledged as
such by the current Count.  I seem to recall Cordelia or Miles saying
that Galen was responsible for Mark's upbringing and welfare, as Galen
was responsible for his creation.  Otherwise, it would be too easy to
insert someone as an "heir" without any knowledge by or involvement
of the "parent".  This isn't even a matter of "I had sex with that
rich person once and became pregnant, so the kid is his heir and is
entitled to some of his assets"; it's "I managed to nick a few cells
from that rich person's medical waste, because the clinic's security
wasn't good enough to rigorously destroy every trace of it".

By Barrayaran law, formal acknowledgement would absolutely have been
necessary.

Joel