[LMB] OT: moving

Joel Polowin jpolowin at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 20 20:57:35 BST 2021

Eric Oppen <ravenclaweric at gmail.com> wrote:
> You were sickened; I was enraged.  I hadn't been able to make it up there
> for quite some time, but knowing it was there was always nice.  Uncle
> Hugo's/Edgar's was one of my regular stops on a trip to the Cities, along
> with dinner at Khan's Mongolian BBQ.

On my occasional trips to Minneapolis / St. Paul for conventions, I
usually tried to get to Uncle Hugo's and Dreamhaven.  Hugo's was a great
place to fill in any missing spots in my collection.

I remember going down for a World Fantasy Con with a friend of mine,
and bringing her to those bookstores.  She loaded up at Hugo's, and made
some comment to me about how she was *pretty* sure she could stuff them
all into her suitcase *somehow*.  I pointed out that she also needed to
leave room for the book bag from the con.

"The what?"

"The freebie bag of books.  Usually, publishers give out big bags of
books to the con members -- samples, overstock, stuff like that.  One of
the jobs that we'll have to do in advance as part of the Registration
team is to load up the book bags.  And apart from getting our own bags,
there are usually books left over."

She squawked.

According to her, I hadn't told her about the freebie bags.

Joel